Sunday, January 6, 2008

Second Saturday

A friend of mine invited me to be a guest artist at Anderson Alley’s Second Saturdays Open House on January 12th. I am so excited!

Anderson Alley is a huge, gorgeous building that is home to many artists’ studios. Quite a few local Rochester art celebrities work there. Second Saturdays are regular events where people can meet artists, see demonstrations, snack on refreshments, and buy artwork or commission pieces.

Anderson Alley is located in the “Neighborhood of the Arts” part of Rochester, NY. That neighborhood includes major arts organizations in our area like the Memorial Art Gallery, the George Eastman House, Writers and Books, the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, BOA Editions, Craft Company #6, Village Gate, and many, many galleries, dance studios, art studio spaces, teaching studios and restaurants. It is also home to ArtWalk, a collaborative effort in Rochester to tie all the art and culture in the area together. ArtWalk itself is an outdoor museum of sorts with fancy decorated sidewalks that connect the main arts organizations. Along the route are beautiful artsy bus shelters, public sculptures, and the light poles are mosaics created by the public. I helped make one! I love this part of Rochester as you can see we are an art loving community.

At Second Saturday, I plan to display new collage pendants, hemp jewelry, felt bead necklaces, greeting cards and some other artwork. This is my first time doing anything like this at all! It’s like having a miniature solo art show. Most of my time this past week has been spent getting ready for this event. Thankfully, my mom has been helping polish jewelry and designing necklaces. We craft well together!

I had 5 items for sale in my Etsy shop after the holiday rush. Then a very gracious repeat customer bought 2 pendants and practically wiped out my inventory. Hard problem to have, eh? So now I have to make more. I finished 6 today. I have an art piece to paint and frame and a finished collage to frame. Display ideas need to be dreamed up and created. I’m going to make a necklace display rack from wood dowels and a wood plaque. Busy busy, busy!

If you’re in town, please stop by!

The few remaining items in my Etsy shop will be going with me so my shop will be closed temporarily until I get more stock made. And I hope I have to make a lot more stock because I get bought out at Second Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Polish like the wind, my beautiful friend!

Post a Comment

Without your comments, I'm just talking to myself! Say something before they come to take me away. Ha ha, ho ho, hee hee.

ShareThis