Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Art Journal Pages: Unfinished

"Color Collage" Pages

I have a lot of pain problems, one of them being almost constant migraines and cluster headaches. The cluster headaches make me restless and agitated. And I have one today so I used my agitation to paint pages in my art journal. My poor art journal has been neglected very much lately. I had planned to keep a page a week going but my pain does not always allow me to work when I want to work.

I thought I would share a bit of my art journal process. These pages were done with specific words in mind that still must be written on the pages. But this is how I start out… painting or collaging backgrounds for future writings. Frankly, I like these pages as is but it’s an art journal so some writing should happen.

The first layer I do is gel medium to add the texture. I also glued some kraft paper down for more texture. Then comes a layer of gesso. Paint colors were picked kind of randomly today as was their placement on the page. I get impatient for paint or gel medium to dry so I force it with the heat gun. This can alter the texture and color a bit, and I like not knowing what I may end up with when it has cooled off.

Close Up of "Color Collage"

I looked around the studio for things to print on the pages. A plastic cup, a piece of that rubber non-slip shelf liner stuff, a rubber stamp of a compass, and my own fingers were carefully painted on and printed. The smaller circles are stenciled from sequin waste punchinella I bought on Etsy. Love that stuff. So useful for collage!

Close Up 2 of "Color Collage"

Paint Palette

This is my paint palette. It is just a plastic plate. I let the paint dry on it and reuse it over and over. This one could easily be three years old! I like to use something up until I cannot use it anymore. Less waste that way.

When I get the writing part done, I will share it with you. Right now I need to go pace off some cluster headache pain. See you on the flip side!

If you click the pictures you will visit my flickr page!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I get headaches frequently..and migraines seem to run in our family..what a gift you have of turning your pain into some beautiful art. I can't do much at all when the pain comes on me..so my hat's off to you..Really beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Love the texture!

ByLightOfMoon said...

I adore your art journal. I also suffer from chronic pain, I usually try to write in a page journal and this idea is so much BETTER! I can't read what I have written anyway is it is so sloppy!

It is really very pretty for such an ugly pain, and who ever know what the circle punch sequin waste punchinella was? I thnk I am selling the wrong things!
Smiles, cyndi

Beautiful Goddess said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation! I'm very inspired by your work.

Post a Comment

Without your comments, I'm just talking to myself! Say something before they come to take me away. Ha ha, ho ho, hee hee.

ShareThis