Saturday, May 23, 2009

Beginning An Art Journal Page

I have not been working in my art journal like I had hoped to be working on it. Life gets busy. Running the Etsy Twitter Team gets busy. But I found myself with some spare time last week to work on a page.

I started out with a rough idea of what I wanted. Lately all my work is created this way – not knowing where I’m really going. Ha! So I began working with torn book pages and Golden regular (matte) gel medium. This technique creates gorgeous texture. All you have to do is tear up some pages with text and slap them down onto your paper.

This is what it looks like with a little bit of gesso painted over it.
Collage Book Page Start

Then I grabbed my favorite green and brown paints – Eucalyptus craft paint and Raw Umber Golden fluid acrylic paint. Watering it down a little makes a really nice glaze effect. This is what it looks like painted.

Art Journal Page Painted

Here’s a close up of the great texture the gel medium and paper creates.

Close Up of Collaged Art Journal Page

Soon I’ll show you what else I painted onto this background. It’s better than I thought it was going to be because I really don’t know how to paint and I just make it up as I go along. My art journal is turning into my own self-taught painting class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Don’t forget that today is the last day for the Etsy Twitter Team Sidewalk Sale!! Get some great deals on handmade – free shipping to 30% off some shops!! It’s definitely worth a look! My sale is 15% off all items (not including shipping and sales tax). Use code "Etsy Twitter Team Sidewalk Sale" in the comments at checkout!

2 comments:

sassypackrat said...

The texture is awesome! Can't wait to see what else you do with it!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Looking good...love the texture! I look forward to seeing how it comes along.

Smiles, Karen

p.s. we reall appreciate all the hard work and time you put into the Etsy Twitter Team!! :oD

Post a Comment

Without your comments, I'm just talking to myself! Say something before they come to take me away. Ha ha, ho ho, hee hee.

ShareThis